Pages

Friday, January 20, 2012

Etta James, A Legend

For those of you who know me well, you know that I have always had a soft spot and an incredible love for Etta James. I own all her greatest hits, I'm not one of those people who only know At Last, as if that is the only amazing thing she's ever done. She was an amazing singer, a legend in her own right, and after passing today at 73 of complications from leukemia she will forever be missed.

Miss James was born, Jamesetta Hawkins, and was discovered in the early 60s by the famous Chess Records, and really the rest is history. She had a tough life, she born into extreme poverty and developed a drug addiction which she eventually overcame in the late 80s. Music was one of her saving graces and even during her darkest days she was turning out amazing records. She has one of those voices that makes you want to cry when you hear it. I'll never forget the first time I heard All I Could Do Was Cry.

I always had a think for music from the 50's, 60's and 70's with an emphasis on Mr. Otis Reading, my boyfriend at the time was also in love with this time period, way more so than I was. Every time we were in the car he'd have on Janis Joplin or Fleetwood Mac or well you see where I'm going. He played Etta James's At Last all the time, he loved that song and soon I loved the song especially the way she sang it. Because of this I decided I had to hear more. I went home and started searching for her music, the first song I stumbled upon was All I Could Do Was Cry. From the first note I heard her sing I was hooked and by the end of the song I had tears. It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard to this day. From that moment on I was a fan and I always will be...

RIP Etta James <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment