Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Carrie Bradshaw Envy AKA My New York Reality Check


I, like many girls I know, loved/still love the show Sex and the City. Since the very first time I saw it I wanted to be Carrie Bradshaw. That's right I didn't just love her character I actually wanted to be her. A writer who lives in a gorgeous studio apartment by herself, equipped with a huge closet that happens to be filled with designer clothes and shoes -- in New York City?! If that's what it's like SIGN ME UP... these were my thoughts literally (for serious).

You see I grew up a stone's throw from this glorious city and as far back as I can remember I have wanted/needed to live here. Then when all my fantasies were confirmed as possible dreams come true, due to the spectacle that was Sex and the City, I wanted/needed it even more. Sunday brunches with my girlfriends, partying at the hottest new clubs and bars 4 or 5 nights a week, holding down a full time job but miraculously always having time for my friends, and shopping till I drop whenever I want. WHO WOULDN'T WANT THAT?! I couldn't wait to graduate college, land my dream job and finally call myself a New Yorker, and then out of nowhere a huge reality bomb exploded.

I graduated in 2009, right after the lovely recession of 2008 hit, finding a job was about as easy as finding a needle in a haystack when you were a Communications and Journalism major. So instead of making it big and moving directly from Storrs, CT (where the wonderful UConn is located) to the big city, where did I end up? My parents house, in my childhood bedroom, across the hall from my little sister. What? What the hell? What happened to my New York dream? Fast forward 11 months later, after working for a friend of my mother in a sports warehouse (that's right this girl can do physical labor) I finally landed a job, and even better than that, it was in New York.

I was one step closer to my dream I could taste it. Fast forward another YEAR, that's right YEAR, I finally had enough money to move into New York. I found a roommate and an apartment and before I knew it here I was, living on the Upper East Side in New York City, just like Carrie Bradshaw, except not at all like Carrie Bradshaw.

How a sex columnist afforded Manolo Blahniks and Prada dresses is beyond me. If anyone has figured out how to do this please email me directly and share your secrets because let me tell you, living in the city isn't always easy. Don't get me wrong I love that each morning when I wake up that this is where I am, I love being able to find Thai food at 3am, and that in 20 minutes I can be at a flea market in Brooklyn discovering treasures, or that I can have a cocktail at 11am on a Sunday with brunch because that is how its done. Here is what I don't love constantly being poor, never having enough space, and coming home and being in bed by 10pm on a weeknight because after a day of work I'm way too tired to go hang out in some trendy club (not that I could afford to anyway).

That's right if you're going to live here get used to being poor, but you know what, even after those complaints I wouldn't trade it for the world. Lets get serious, even though I'll probably never live the life that Carrie Bradshaw did, I love this city it's the best city in the world and I'm NEVER LEAVING.

*Future husband please take note of that - I don't do suburbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment