Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Get to Know - The Pretty Reckless

So I meant to mention this in yesterday's, Victoria Secret Fashion Show entry, but it slipped my mind until this song came blaring out of my iPod headphones while at the gym yesterday.

The song that kicked off the glitterati runway show for Ms. Victoria Tuesday night was Make Me Wanna Die by The Pretty Reckless. Now I've been listening to this band for over a year now and they surprisingly kick ass. I say surprisingly because the lead singer happens to be 16-year-old Taylor Momson. Yes that is correct: Momson from Gossip Girl, as well as the Grinch that Stole Christmas & the lead singer of this edgy new wave rock band are one in the same.


Momsen is in fact a very musically talented individual. She takes her musical inspiration from the White Stripes and The Beatles, and she along with producer Ben Philips wrote every song on The Pretty Reckless debut album - Light Me Up. Momsen says that Light Me Up is written about her life and her experiences, which is a little intense for a 16-year-old if you ask me. Many of the album's records talk about drugs, sex, heartbreak and so on which - I'm sorry I'm 24 and I don't recall relating to much of that at 16. But this is neither here nor there - the album as I said is pretty kick ass.


When the band first started performing live they recieved a lot of flack for the way Momsen was dressed and acting. Being that she is EXTREMELY UNDERAGE and performing in lingerie, leather and heavy eyeliner didn't really sit well with moms and dads across America, but hey let her do her thang is all I can say. Currently the band is touring Australia with no USA dates scheduled anytime soon. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't check them out though. She and her bandmates are definitely worth the listen - especially if your a girl dealing with some idiot boy or you need to get in a good workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment