Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

We're Living in a Digital World, and I am a Digital Girl

It's true! Today's world operates online. Business is done via the internet, news is read via the internet, people stay in touch via the internet, I pretend people are interested in what I have to say via the internet (aka this blog) and somewhat post importantly or at least most relevantly to my little site here - Music is consumed and listened to via the internet.

Last year - 2011 - digital music sales accounted for 50.3% of all music sales out-ranking physical album sales for the first time in history. The queen herself, Miss Adele, was the top selling artist overall for 2011. Other artists that did some major damage in the digital world were Lady GaGa (of course) and Jay Z and Kanye West's Watch the Throne.

Honestly I think the most shocking part of this whole thing is that it took so long to happen, really it took until 2011 for digital sales to make up most of the music industry's sales? How is this possible? I would have thought that the first year iTunes was created would have been the year that crushed physical album sales but I guess not. I had little faith in most music consumers but I was wrong people still care about having the physical album in their hand.

I'm someone who still, yes still, likes to buy the actual album. I think A) the artist deserves it and B) it's awesome to actually have a CD collection, actually its awesome. Try and tell me I'm wrong - seriously try... Yup you can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment