Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

Blue Jean Baby - Almost Famous

This past weekend I watched what is probably the best music movie ever - Almost Famous. It pretty much depicts the life I would kill to live. (Yes I want to be Penny Lane don't judge me). It also depicts the decade/time-period etc. that I was clearly meant to live in, but sadly someone messed up on that one.

This film is based on director Cameron Crowe's experiences when he was younger. The movie tells the story of a teenager trying to make it as a Rock N' Roll journalist, the things he experiences while traveling on the road with the band Stillwater, along with his efforts behind getting his story published in Rolling Stone Magazine. It's during the time (1973) when real live for, die for, all I breathe rock n' roll was fading fast. It was being replaced by "musicians," that just wanted to make it big and didn't care if they had to sell out to do it. Not to say that some GREAT bands didn't come out of that time period, but I mean the 60's really shaped some of the greatest artists of all time - I digress.

The best part of this movie - besides the wardrobe options - is definitely the soundtrack. Elton John's Tiny Dancer, Simon and Garfunkel's America, Lynyrd Skynyrd's Simple Man, The Who's Sparks... NEED I GO ON. Every time I watch this movie I can't help but smile after and wish I had been there to experience some of these moments first hand. To be able to watch some of the greatest musicians of all time, forever and always, play their way across America - Le Sigh - Perhaps another amazing decade will strike soon.

Here's hoping...

No comments:

Post a Comment